Santa Chiara Church

This Monumental Complex, including Church, Monastery and Convent, was built from 1310 to 1328 at the behest of the monarch Roberto d’Angiò and his wife Sancia di Maiorca.

The sovereigns, both devoted to San Francesco d’Assisi and Santa Chiara, wanted to build a citadel Franciscan monastery in upholding the Poor Clares and the convent adjacent to the Friars Minor.

The Church, the central core of the complex, was built with the title of sacred host or the Sacred Body of Christ, dedication suggested by the Eucharistic Miracle of Bolsena, occurred in 1264; this name changed immediately in Santa Chiara, probably for large presence of Clarisse in the monastery.